Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Alexander Henry Camouflage Pinup Girl Cargo pants

Ever since I first saw it I have thought that Camouflage Girls by Alexander Henry was calling to be made into a pair of cargo pants. Last week I had time to make them up and I must say that I quite pleased with the finished result.
The pattern is self drafted based on a pair of cargo pants that I owned years ago but because I have used my own pants block I was able to avoid the issue I often have with ready to wear clothing. Namely the gapey bit around the back waist band. The original pair of cargos had a draw string which cinched in the waistband but if you are going to go to the trouble of making your own clothing, then it should fit properly :) 
Like all good cargo pants there are heaps of pockets, including the box pockets on each side leg, patch hip pockets and back patch pockets. I have used antique brass press studs and buttons. It also has a zippered fly front. If you have trouble inserting a zippered front fly you might like to try using this tutorial. It is by Martyn Smith and I've not had any issues since I've started using it. 

Next I really have to draft myself a pair of jeans, last time I went jeans shopping (5 years or so ago :) I had to try on a dozen pairs to find 2 that fit. Of course there are at least 5 other things that need to be sewn up first.

What's on everyone else's to sew list?
- Ky

No comments:

Post a Comment